Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yummy Summer Drinks Series - Presentation

Today, I'm going to talk a little bit about decorating those yummy summer drinks.

Presentation is everything, right? It's the reason someone will choose to pick up that drink and give it a try. I'm betting that a study would show (probably has shown) that most people enjoy their food more if it looks pretty. 


There are so many ways to garnish a drink. I'm going to share a few that we thought up. If you are so inclined, please leave a comment and share any garnishing ideas you may have.
  • Frosting the glass. This is always pretty, and it's easy. I use a mixture of 1/3 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp. of kosher salt. I like a little salt kick with my drink. Take the glass you're going to use and get the rim wet. You can dip it in water, or, like me, rub a lemon wedge around the edge of the glass. Then, dip it in the sugar/salt mixture.

  • Fruit on a toothpick or skewer - pick a fruit that complements your drink in both flavor and color. 

  • Citrus twists or curls are pretty- especially when they don't uncurl and fall in the drink before you take the photo...
  • Flavored or fruited ice cubes - I use juice. Pictured are stars made of pomegranate juice and stirring sticks made of grapefruit juice. I got the trays at IKEA several years ago. 


  •  Fruit, mint leaves or citrus peel frozen into ice cubes - very pretty

  • Lemon or lime wedges

  • Mint leaves or edible flowers

I hope you found something fun to try! Join us on Tuesday for mocktails!

Summer drinks - earlier posts

No comments: