Saturday, March 6, 2010

luscious bread

If you're looking for one of those whole wheat and sweetened with honey bread recipes, this isn't one of those. For this "project", I needed a large batch of white bread. So I went to the family cookbook and decided to use my Aunt's Luscious Bread recipe which yields 5 large, luscious loaves.
The 16 month old boy was bery helpful in testing each loaf.
Luscious Bread
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast (2 packages)
1 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup oil
3 tsp. salt
4 cup lukewarm water
2 beaten eggs
1 cup sugar
12-14  cups unbleached flour

Dissolve yeast and sugar and 1 cup water; let stand. Add oil, salt, 4 cups water, eggs and sugar; mix well. Blend in yeast mixture. Add flour. Knead with dough hook for 10 minutes. Remove dough to greased bowl, cover and let rise until double. Punch down and let rise until double again. Divide into 5 pans; let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I only made 2 loaves and then the rest went into a giant roasting pan to make 1 GIANT loaf of bread! But I will show you what I did with it tomorrow. The tops of my loaves aren't very smooth because I didn't smooth over the dough when I placed it in the pans. I just sort of slopped it in there and it made marks or knots on top. My mother would never approve. I hae only made bread a few times in my life. My mother always brings this up. She has guilt because she never taught me to make bread and sew and all that. But what she doesn't remember is that I rebelled against learning those things and only now wish I had sat down and learned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Just like my mom's yummy home made bread. Mmmm! I need to start practicing.

KD said...

that looks soooo yummy! I wonder, what is that little boy poking into the bread?!?! :) yum.