Friday, September 25, 2009

fried zucchini


The zucchinis that came out of our garden this year were humongous. It was amazing to check them one afternoon and see that they were still fairly small. The next day they had grown by leaps and bounds it seemed. The giant ones I shredded up for later use and stuck in the freezer in freezer bags. The smaller ones I cut at an angle into coins for fried zucchini. They were delicious! The measurements for the ingredients are just a guess. You may need more or less of the flour, milk, and bread crumbs. You will notice I didn't use any egg. It didn't need it at all.

1-2 zucchinis
2 cups milk
1-2 cups flour
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
oil for frying

First cut your zucchinis into desired thickness. Not too thin, but not very thick or it won't cook well. Place coins in container along with the milk. I let them soak for a few minutes, making sure that none of them are stuck together. Next I put the flour into a gallon ziploc bag or a large bowl. I remove the zucchinis from the milk using a slotted spoon and dump them into the bag of flour to coat evenly. You will probably have to break some apart as they like to stick together. Once they are coated evenly, you will dip them one by one in the milk once again and immediately coat with the breadcrumbs. Once all the zucchinis are breaded, they are ready for frying. Place a couple of paper towels on a plate and place a few zucchinis in hot oil. Fry on one side until golden brown, then flip over and fry the remaining side until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel covered plate. Serve with ranch dip if you like.

Here are some other zucchini recipes I might try to mix things up a bit.

Zucchini and Rice Casserole from All recipes
Zucchini Cakes from the Pioneer Woman's friend, Ryan. I think these are also called Zucchini Fritters.
Spinach and Zucchini Soup from 101 Cookbooks.
And last but not least, it's the Zucchini Weenie as seen on Al Dente. Fair Food. I think it actually looks pretty tasty! It would have to be a Hebrew National hot dog for me to eat it though. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this one! Those look just like Carl's Jr. fried zucchini!

We love zucchini. One of our favorite ways is to take a melon baller or a spoon and after slicing the zucchini in half length wise, scooping out the guts and filling it with flavored cream cheese and topping it with shredded cheddar. A few minutes in the oven and they are great!

Thanks Mrs Fuzz! We'll be having these SOON!

~Susan

Natalie said...

This post is an absolute lifesaver with all the zuccini that's been kindly given to us by neighbors. They give me the monsters!

Especially since my two zuccini plants only produced two small bits between them. Sigh. It's my first year and now I know what to do better for next year!

We're getting together with some other LEOs and their families tonight and just may need to try the recipe out on 'em!