Saturday, April 18, 2009

sweet and sour chicken




4 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup evaporated milk
3 eggs

Sauce:
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 Tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
dash of garlic powder (I press a couple of cloves)
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
chopped green peppers (optional)
1 small can pineapple tidbits (optional)
  1. Mix eggs, milk, cornstarch, and flour
  2. Dip cut up chicken pieces in egg mixture and deep fry in oil until chicken is cooked and no longer pink. Drain on paper towels. (you don't have to deep fry it, sauteeing it in a little bit of oil works well too)
  3. Put all ingredients for sauce in a 9X13 casserole dish, mix, then put chicken on top. (I sometimes add 1 small can of drained pineapple tidbits, you can also add chopped green peppers)
  4. Bake at 325 for one hour.
Serve with rice and veggies. We like to do broccoli or fresh whole green beans. If you are in a hurry, you can heat the sauce on the stove until it thickens and then pour on top of already cooked chicken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got behind reading your recipies but I went back and took a look. You make such fun stuff! Fun and DEEEElish!! I so want to try about a million of them but my sweet hubby is trying to lose some weight, which points out that I need to lose even more than him, and we are eating a lot of salads and chicken breasts right now.

I'm still trying to be creative: ie, blackend chicken salad with black beans, kiddney beans and corn, chicken and brown rice, chicken soup, ect, so it doesn't get too boring, but I would love some of those roll things right about now!! Or a meatball!

corporalswife said...

I found it! This is the recipe I read when I initially found your blog and started following. Then last week, I decided to make it, but couldn't for the life of me remember where I'd seen the recipe. I was all over Food Network's site, etc.

I am SO glad I read back and found it.I'm making this recipe this weekend!

Susan said...

I made this dish last night. Was worried, because my hubby isn't crazy about sweet food. But it was AWESOME! I brought all the leftovers to work for lunch today. I'm sure i'll have some grumpies when i get home. What a great recipe! We just LOVED it!
BTW, this is the second recipe on your blog i've made. I also made the Avocado egg rolls which were yummy, too! When i need an idea for dinner, lately I've just been coming here! Thank you! Please post more and more! HAHAHA!