Friday, April 17, 2009

dessert in a hurry I




This is probably my favorite dessert of all time. Strawberry Shortcake. I've made homemade angel food cake before, the homemade whipped cream, and I grew up in Ventura, California, home of the world's greatest strawberries. One of the things I miss most about living there is during strawberry season. The workers picking strawberries in the fields, the strawberry stands on the side of the road where you can pick up a flat of just picked strawberries, the Strawberry Festival. Strawberries picked fresh and right from the fields are big, juicy, and a brilliant red. The strawberry above reminded me of the strawberries from home. It was huge! I sliced it leaving the top intact to look pretty when I served it. I didn't make the cool whip look all fancy on there. I just sort of plopped it on because like the title of this post mentions, I was in a hurry.

This is not a homemade recipe. This is when you need a dessert in a hurry for whatever reason. A get together, or you are craving it yourself, which is what this ocassion was, and you don't want to do all the work. All you need is 3 items:

Angel food cake
1 carton of Cool Whip
1 pint of fresh strawberries

Slice the angel food cake into desired sized wedges. Put a dollop of whipped cream, or cool whip on top and top with sliced strawerries. I never add additional sugar to my strawberries. This is also a good topping on pound cake, biscuits, or inside crepes.

Do you make your like this? What way do you make your strawberry shortcake?

No comments: